21/01/2015

Going Cruelty Free.

Going Cruelty Free, Make-up and Beauty Products on Le Petit Faon

Back in September, I stumbled upon this Youtube video about cruelty free beauty products and somehow its message slowly grew on me during the past few months: why make animals suffer from something so unnecessary as make-up? I am pretty positive that no logical human being could answer that question. You don't really need make-up to survive at the end of the day, don't you... even if it makes us feel prettier and more confident, it's definitely not necessary as food or water is.

Before watching said video, it had never crossed my mind that we are basically making animals die for something that we don't actually need. So I decided to take the three girls' advice and switch to cruelty free beauty products. It won't be a drastic change, since I'm going to use up the non-cruelty free make-up that I already own; but I will try and buy non-animal tested cosmetics only, especially vegan ones. 

Since March 2013, companies can't sell cosmetic products that have been tested on animals in the European Union. Unfortunately, it only means that the finished product has not been tested on animals, while the ingredients probably were. Also, many brands say they don't test on animals, but they suppliers do, or they commission tests to third-party companies. It's kinda sad to hear, isn't it? Lots of widely available brands such as L'OrĂ©al, Rimmel, Chanel, Dior, Maybelline and MAC test on animals in some way, even though there definitely are alternative testing methods available.  

The good news is that there are plenty of readily available beauty brands that sell cruelty-free! Too Faced, Wet'n'Wild, Soap & Glory, Hourglass, ELF... switching to cruelty-free is not as hard as it may sound, and I think it will be an interesting journey :) 

Obviously there's so much more to be said on the topic, but I'm a newbie and I still have a lot to learn myself; I just wanted to write a short post to hopefully raise some awareness in my readers. I will leave you with a few links that I found very helpful: 



What do you think about animal testing on cosmetics? Do you think it's something necessary?

No comments:

Post a Comment